Thursday, March 21, 2013

4-H = Happy

I'm a mentor at Cedar Middle School.
I LOVE IT!
At the beginning of the semester a paper went around my institute class asking for people to sign up.
I needed something to fill my time and help me to feel like I had a purpose,
So I signed up.
The first time I went I walked in and I felt a little awkward,
I didn't know anyone there and I had no idea what to talk about with 6th graders.

But every time I went I got more and more comfortable and I began to build friendships with the kids and with my fellow mentors.
And now 4-H is the highlight of my week.

I get to talk to these kids and see their wonderful senses of humor and wonderful personalities and then I get to help them with their homework and encourage them to do their best.
Homework time is a struggle but it's my favorite because I know they can do it even when they say they can't!
Seeing them succeed makes me so happy!

Last time at mentoring I was working with this girl that wouldn't do her homework for anything and so I sang her a song about how her homework missed her because she wouldn't give it enough attention.
After my splendid song she did her homework.
Unfortunately my song wasn't that amazing motivational song that moves people to action, rather my voice is so bad anyone would do anything to get me to stop, my lil' bro Nate can attest to this.
I've tortured him many times in this manner when I want him to put his dishes away.
My singing is done in the name of fun tho, so it's ok :)

These kids have so much potential and I have learned to love them SO much!
They make me laugh so hard and I'm always happy when I am with them.
We goof off but we also get things done.

Some of my favorite memories include:
Making soft pretzels,
ALWAYS winning the cooking competitions,
Making T-shirts,
Arm wrestling contests,
Wheelbarrow races,
Hands up stands up games,
Playing tag,
Creating things with our mad wood working skills,
and just simply laughing together.

I'm so glad that I signed up and there are many more fun times ahead :)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment